Wednesday 22 February 2012

21/02/12 Session and General North/South musings

I've barely climbed in the last week unfortunately, but I've had to rush back North due to my dad being taken into hospital. So climbing had dropped onto the back burner for a while.

I managed to go up to Westview in Preston last night and had a good session managing to climb a few v8/v8+'s. It wasn't really a major session though. I find now that the gradings between north and south are quite different. It seems problems in London are far harder, but not as fluid and nice to climb.

I guess it just depends on the setters and the type of climbing they mainly prefer. At westview it's mainly crimpy problems due to Ian Vickers setting there who is a very strong climber, the current set had a lot of gaston moves in it which I find are lacking in London.

I think that currently in London one of the best walls for bouldering setting would be Craggy Island, with Mark Croxall as their main setter. It seems for me that his style matches my style very well. Plus I've had to learn how to hold wide pinches on steep overhangs! Which I use to be terrible at doing.

No comments: